Home -> Why Privacy?
The Privacy Barrier to the networked Economy
Imagine a world where everything is linked to the same electronic network and
we are always identified. The drivers for Absolute Identification are so strong
that we are making Privacy impossible without thinking of the consequences.
Much more troublesome is that we ignore to consequences to the economy and security. When we create more identified data we increae risk and thereby also fraud and abuse. This translates into a growing perception of risk which unavoidable reduce trust and increase what we can call the risk premium as part of transactions.
Existing approaches are not going to change the trend
|The growing Privacy Issue
- 60-90% of individuals are concerned about abuse of personal information.
- Online non-buyers express Privacy concerns as their main reason not
to purchase online.
- 2/3 of experienced internet users normally terminate interaction when
asked for personal information.
- The problem is growing as abuse is reported daily by media and still
more people experience abuse.
The problem is more than just a human rights issue
- Individuals are very concerned and respond defensively by preferring
to surf anonymously avoiding registration.
- Companies experience Privacy as the Barrier to get new customers and
- Adoption of new technologies and eCommerce oppurtunities are slow
as individuals dis-trust and refuse to use services
Enourmes ressources are poored into the support of building Trust for eCommerce
with very little or no effect. When the real Privacy problem is a behaviour problem
related to the sense of loss of control, building Trust based on promisses, expert
statements and law is not enough. Consumers will still witness their Privacy being
eliminated with very little they can do about it. They will continue to prefer
to surf anonymously avoiding registration in order to retain control of personal
Unless we change this trend we are facing a No privacy Future and increasing
resistance from individuals.
Make Privacy the default in the Networked Economy
... because the alternative is not an option!
Rather than thinking that more Trust reduce Privacy Concern, think that
Real Privacy or rather Security that actually reduce risk will build Trust !